Saturday, April 14, 2007

6 Simple Questions with Humor Columnist Dave Barry

So I recieved half a response from Dave Barry. Perhaps Dave's love for his art never ceases because answering three questions out of an interview titled Six Simple Questions is funny in its own way. Whatever the case, any response at all from Dave was more than we could have hoped for.

Dave, a Haverford College alum, was a Humor Columist with the Miami Herald from 1983 to 2005 and has written over 30 books. In 1988, He won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Two of Dave's books, Dave Barry Turns 40 and Dave Barry's Greatest Hits, were used as the basis for the sitcom Dave's World, where Harry Anderson played Dave. Barry's first novel, Big Trouble, was made into a movie directed by Barry Sonnenfeld. The movie which starred Tim Allen and Rene Russo included a cameo by Dave.

Though he frequently asserts that he's not quite sure how it happened, Dave has taken a path of his own and carefully crafted a career that he loves. Here's Dave's handle on some of the Six Simple Questions:

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I don't recall having any career goal when I was a kid. I mostly remember looking for ways to amuse myself. This is still pretty much what I do.

Whether it is in a big way or a small way, how do you change the world?

Well, I try to make people laugh; I suppose that's a good thing, as long as what they're laughing at is worthy of being laughed at. Here I am thinking specifically of Barry Manilow.

What's one invention or innovation that would change the way you do your work?

I could really use a cheap, reliable time machine.

Unfortunately, Dave didn't have a chance to relay his favorite ice cream flavor... but for more information on Dave or to do some reasearch of your own, check out his website at DaveBarry.com.

No comments: