Thursday, April 12, 2007

Announcing Where is the Director?

For a while I had been preparing an article on people who have broken out of the traditional mold and were working in a career and living a life that they loved. I was keeping the interviews at a site called Where is the Director? Inspiration and advice from those who run the show. In thinking about it more, the topic is very relevant to what I write here and in the future I will be posting the responses to the Six Simple Questions here as well for the people who already subscribe to this feed. To start here's the short interview format as it played out with Keith Schacht of JobCoin.com:

Keith Schacht is Founder and CEO of JobCoin, which provides a user-friendly job board application that gives websites a new way to monetize their content. He also currently co-edits Freshwater Venture and previously co-founded Inventables, Lever Works, Inc., and Chicago Beta. As someone experienced with living the start-up life and succeeding, here’s how Keith tackled the Six Simple Questions:

What did you want to be when you grew up?


Back then I would of told you “Someone who can just make stuff all day.” Give me some space parts and a little duct tape, and I was entertained for days.

Whether it is in a big way or a small way, how do you change the world?


I’m changing the way people connect with one another around job opportunities. I’m constantly amazed at how inefficient the process is.

What’s one invention or innovation that would change the way you do your work?


I want a tool that knows what I’m working on, or what I’m looking for, and automatically connects me to people who are in the same boat as me or who can help. It has to be instantaneous and it has to be smart. Yahoo Answers and other sites are almost there, but not instantaneous enough. People have an inherent desire to help each other and answer questions.

What problem do you encounter most frequently in your everyday life?


I don’t feel like there are a lot of problems, I’m amazed how many tools exist to help you day-to-day. It would be nice to eliminate batteries, no more charging laptops, cell phones, etc.

If you could go back to when you were just starting out, what are two things you’d do differently?


I don’t think I’d change anything. I know that sounds cliche, but it’s a learning process and you have to experience the good and the bad to learn the lessons.


What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?

Cinnamon!

If you’re interested in learning more or getting a job board for your site, check out www.jobcoin.com. Also, be sure to keep up to date with new developments at the JobCoin Blog.

*Check out Where is the Director for the other interviews so far and look forward to more on the way. If you're interested in learning more check out the About section on Where is the Director and if you have any ideas for who should be featured next please let me know. Eventually I plan to merge the two blogs into one.

No comments: